Iyengar Yoga Center of Denver
Transformative yoga for the whole person
About the Iyengar Yoga Center of Denver
- The Iyengar Yoga Center of Denver emphasizes precision in physical alignment to awaken and realign the whole body/mind complex.
- All teachers at the Iyengar Yoga Center of Denver are certified or working toward certification through the rigorous Iyengar method and many have decades of teaching experience.
- Benefits to using props in the tradition of Iyengar yoga is two-fold:
- Allows individual to practice asanas with greater precision and stability
- When body is supported, the mind can open and accept the benefits of the yoga.
- Iyengar yoga provides relief from chronic health problems such as arthritis, back pain, hypertension, migraines, etc., and makes the practitioner healthy in all aspects of well-being, from the mind, body and spirit.
- Iyengar yoga practitioners aren't looking for the next trendy aerobic workout, but focus on developing correct body alignment, strength and flexibility through a logical sequence.
- The Iyengar Yoga Center of Denver maintains three clean studios, fully equipped with props used in the practice of Iyengar yoga, including custom-made wall ropes.
- What is the Iyengar Method? Iyengar's method, rooted in the Ashtanga (Eight-Limbed) philosophy of Patanjali, is a form of hatha yoga (yoga of willpower), that strongly emphasizes the physical alignment of the body in the asanas, creating a sense of balance and lightness that will be reflected in the mind in the form of inner awarenss and equanimity. To read more, visit the official B.K.S. Iyengar website.
- Read our blog
The Iyengar Yoga Center of Denver offers regularly scheduled classes each week, including:
- Asana Levels 1, 2 & 3
- Back Care yoga
- Free classes for people with cancer and HIV/AIDS
- Free community yoga
- Individual instruction
- Prenatal yoga
- Restorative yoga
- Seminars on yoga philosophy
- Senior's yoga
- Teacher training
- Women's yoga
- Workshops with senior teachers from the international Iyengar Yoga community
- Yoga for Scoliosis
Iyengar Yoga Center of Denver Background
Founded in 2001, the Iyengar Yoga Center of Denver is rooted in the teachings of B.K.S. Iyengar and his daughter, Geeta Iyengar of Pune, India. Mr. Iyengar believes that yoga is for everyone, regardless of strength, flexibility, age or other perceived weaknesses.
At the Iyengar Yoga Center of Denver, highly trained teachers certified in the Iyengar method, guide students to develop precise body alignment through the practice of asanas (yoga postures) and pranayama (breathing exercises).
Our teachers lead students of all ages and physical conditions through a safe and accessible yoga experience that integrates the mind, body and spirit. Each student is closely observed and our teachers use their in-depth knowledge of the asanas to provide specific, individualized corrections. Props, such as blankets, blocks and belts, are used to allow each individual to penetrate deeper into the posture for exact body alignment.
At the Iyengar Yoga Center of Denver, the different asanas are performed with intent and precision to develop the union between body and mind with increased strength, flexibility and balance.
Other Iyengar Yoga Studios in the Rocky Mountain Region